Andrea Continues to Try to Review: Anna and the French Kiss (Chic Lit Week: Day 2)

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 2 Comments A+ a-

I HAVE CONQUERED LAZINESS! Okay, no, not really. I'm probably going to end up writing this review part by part. Like, a paragraph today, a paragraph tomorrow, so on and so forth. Anywaaay, as promised, Day 2 of Chic Lit Week is Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins!





As per usual, a summary from Goodreads:

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?
 








 I'm going to skip the star ratings because, again, I am against them (okay, against is too strong of a word). But, I will leave you with their Goodreads rating! AatFK received a 4.10 out of 5 from Goodreads people. It's a pretty great standing, if you ask me.

There will be spoilers. Read at your own risk.

It took me quite a long time to get myself to sit down and write a review on Anna and the French Kiss. I mean, with Eleanor and Park, I gave myself a day before writing. Not exactly sure if it was pure laziness or if it was because I couldn't find a negative thing about Anna and the French Kiss. It wasn't perfect, no. Definitely not. In my standards, anyway. But I had absolutely no idea what makes it imperfect.

I know, I know, that's probably the worst thing I could say in a review. I asked my sister (who also happens to be a big book nerd) if she ever felt like this about a book before and she told me that maybe AatFK was just too cliché. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just that it's cliché. It's a completely typical chic lit novel. And bless my sister because I finally found out what I didn't like about AatFK.

How Anna and Étienne met was seriously super cliché. There was actually a voice in my head wishing that no, no, please don't let her fall for Étienne (although he actually is a very great guy). All throughout the book I was waiting for a plot twist, something different. But no, Anna ends up with Étienne in the end, but of course there are bumps in the road. I guess that's kind of the only thing that separates it from other chic lit novels, the bumps Anna and Étienne went through were different.

Although, I do have to admit that in the middle of reading this, I seriously considered stopping. Reading it became a chore and I think there was a point where I just wanted to read it because I needed to. I read it for the sake of finishing it. And that is seriously the worst motivation for reading a book. I wished there was more.. I don't know.. adventure (and I don't mean this sexually) in Anna and Étienne's story.

I guess this is just my own reading preferences speaking, but I like a good heartbreak. It shows you the reality that some stories don't end well, but that's because that's not exactly a full story yet, it's merely a chapter. Plus I do have a special place in my heart for tear-jerkers. And AatFK was none of those two.

Nevertheless, I think Anna and the French Kiss is a pretty light read. In my opinion, it's an 'okay' book. Overrated? Nah, I don't think so. I just think a lot more people prefer light, easy novels probably. I'm not even sure if I'm still making sense here.

I think I'll end the post here before I ramble any further (this review was longer than I had expected and probably sucked just as much).

If you've made it this far, I love you very much.

The "A" in LAMP,
Andrea


Also, I totally feel Stephanie Perkins on this one.

an 18 year old girl living in the Philippines who firmly believes in the power and joy of writing and that the owl carrying her Hogwarts letter simply got lost.

2 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
30 April 2015 at 01:36 delete

Wow, you're right! I just read Anna and the French Kiss for the first time maybe weeks ago and I couldn't figure what I didn't like about it. There's nothing wrong, it's just incredibly predictable. :P
I know you've only done two so far, but I'm really enjoying reading these. :)
One chick lit book I really liked was Dash and Lily's Book of Dares.

Reply
avatar
Andrea
AUTHOR
30 April 2015 at 12:06 delete

I know, right? It wasn't all bad, but it was so cliche.
I've never heard of Dash and Lily's Book of Dares before, but thank you! I was actually looking for a 6th and 7th book to include in the chick lit week thing and I guess I found my 6th! Thanks again. :)

Reply
avatar

May the comments be ever in my favor (or not)