1st Semester as a Vet Student a.k.a college is so hard pls help me

Thursday, January 10, 2019 0 Comments A+ a-


I'm posting this a few days before my second semester starts, but I wrote it a few days into the end of my first semester. Messy, but let's roll with it.

My last finals exam a.k.a the exam that marks the beginning of my freedom was last Wednesday. But the fact that my first semester is done has only sunk in now. My brain still feels weird about not having to finish a to-do list.
My first semester as a Vet student was a lot of things. It was mostly hard, but fun too. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it flew by pretty quickly. Of course I couldn't say the same during nights when I was losing sleep doing lab reports and philosophical papers. Those nights made it seem like this semester would never end.

Believe it or not, I still have trouble comprehending the fact that I'm here. I'm in my dream university pursuing a program that I really like. However, I'm also having trouble accepting the fact that this shit is hard. I have literally broken down a lot  of times during the semester and I had a huge mix of sleepless nights and days full of sleep when I admittedly missed school. I know I was all giddy and excited about college and moving in and studying away from home, but I didn't know how hard it was going to be.

I spent about half of my first sem trying very hard to adjust living away from home and my family. I was also so used to having an automatic set of friends like in high school, so it was definitely challenging when I found myself walking from my dorm to my buildings and vice versa alone. I was eating lunch alone, doing homework alone, and I have this newly realized lack of social skills.

Despite all of that, believe it or not, I want to stay. My college is full to the brim of people who are so passionate about what they're doing. My first ever major course is VMED101 and it's about Animal Welfare. My prof was incredibly passionate about what he's teaching and it was definitely one of my favorite classes so far.


I was also constantly in a room full of people who loved animals! I had so many classmates who had silly stories about their cats or dogs or lizards. I struggled a bit with getting close friends, but everyone really was very nice. I just had to learn how to open up again. I'm not proud of how many friends I made this sem, but I'm extremely grateful to have met so many amazing people in class.

My chemistry subjects were also hella hard, but I had a really good lab instructor and I will also be forever grateful to have been that blessed to have him as a prof on my first year as an iska. It was an emotional roller coaster (I barely passed my lecture class in chem!), but it was a pretty good experience.

I have a lot more stories, but I'm quite sure I won't be shutting up about college soon so let's just schedule that some other time.

I believe this is a good ending to this post:

I hope ya'll have an amazing 2019. I have a little less than 4 days before my second sem starts and I can't say I'm excited, but come at me. I am ready.

To cry again.

All the love,
Andrea

A Veterinarian in the making. She loves dogs, turtles, pastries, books, and videogames.

May the comments be ever in my favor (or not)