What Three Seasons of Grey's Anatomy Taught Me

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 0 Comments A+ a-


While I'd like to say that my summer days was spent on glorious beach trips and parties, the reality is that I've been watching a lot. I caught up with my Watch List on Netflix, my subscriptions on Youtube, and even some missed livestreams on Twitch. On this blog post, I'd like to focus on the things I've learned from binge-watching Grey's Anatomy.

I'm moving out of our house and moving back in my dorm once again on Friday. It's time for another year of vet  school. One way of coping up with that reality for me is watching Grey's Anatomy. I binged seasons 1 and 2 with my mom, and now I'm about to finish season 3. Here are the things I've learned so far:

  • I do not like McDreamy.
Sorry, I really need an outlet for this. My boyfriend is the most loving and kind person, but I know he has had enough of me ranting about how much I dislike McDreamy. I didn't hate him right away, I mean he is a beautiful man, but he also hurt Meredith :( And I just can't get over the fact that he gets to come back into her arms just like that.

And I hate how irrational he can be sometimes. His random bouts of anger misdirected at Meredith annoys me so much. Like when Meredith told Mark Sloan about rumors of the chief stepping down and McDreamy got angry at Meredith for giving Sloan a reason to stay. The chief stepping down wasn't a secret that Meredith was supposed to keep. And I just can't let go of McDreamy calling Meredith a slut for sleeping with other guys that are not him when he chose to fix things with Addison. You can't blame Meredith for how she fixes what you broke, okay? >:-(
  • Human Medicine, maybe?
When I first watched Grey's Anatomy, I thought: "maybe if I watched this show earlier, I would have pursued human medicine." And for a while, that thought stuck. To be able to help people live longer and have happy, health lives? To go into a hospital every single day, being paid to save lives and get to know people's histories and just be exposed to how big the world is. 
  • I do not want to pursue Human Medicine
  • I am both Christina and Izzie
But then I'm also reminded of why I chose the medical field I am in now (or at least studying to be in). Human Medicine isn't always stitching up people and saving their lives. Humans are incredibly complex, not just our bodily systems, but how we think and how we react to things. I will never, ever be able to face a person's family member and tell them I couldn't save their loved one. I will never be able to go into a surgery room unbothered and detached from the stories of the person lying on the surgical bed. 

I will never be as brilliant as Christina, but I'm as hardworking and goal-oriented. But I'm not as stoic and detached. I will never be as kind as Izzie, but I care about the patients I will be working with and I can't not be involved in what's beyond their physical bodies.
  • I want to be a Veterinarian
I want to be in the medical field, but I can't operate on humans. But this isn't the sole reason why I want to be a Veterinarian. I want to study veterinary medicine because while stories of humans being cured and living their best lives are heartwarming, stories of animals undergoing the same cannot be told as easily.

Animals are one of the biggest blessings humans will ever get and most of us don't realize that. Often most of forget. We think we're superior beings just because our brains are more developed and just because we communicate better. But I've seen animals with bigger hearts than some humans. Dogs are kind, loving, and loyal - even when the world is cruel to them. Cats are aliens, but can somehow comfort humans better than any other non-alien interaction. Spiders are scary but are some of the most strategic and smart predators out there. There is so much more. And while humans are amazing and human medicine is fulfilling, I know the same can be said about animals and veterinary medicine.
  • Meredith should've chosen Fin :)

Andrea

A Veterinarian in the making. She loves dogs, turtles, pastries, books, and videogames.

May the comments be ever in my favor (or not)